Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

strops

On artful bullet there is a thread about sharpening.  One of the members makes his living at it, traveling a fair distance to service his clients in a big circular route. Another one does it professionally as well.  They both gave some good info on using a strop. Evidently, polishing to a super fine edge actually makes resharpening unnecessary for up to a year if it doesn't get abused, just strop after each use.
https://artfulbullet.com/index.php?threa...lls.11281/
I last used an old barber's strop I found in the back porch when I was a kid. I had no clue about jeweler's rouge back then. I just used it as I found it. It did improve an already sharp edge quite a bit. I'd forgotten all about that so I ordered this one from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Sharpener-BACHER-...YXRm&psc=1
Since it comes with four different abrasives I think I'll make another one from the scraps I have laying around to experiment with the two coarser grades.
At first, I thought 7 grams of each grade wouldn't last long, but at 1 gram per application and not needing reapplication until 30-50 uses, most likely there'll be some left for the dumpster after my funeral.
I bet my victorinox 8" chef's knife is really going to be a joy to use!

An update:
So far, I've sharpened and stropped 4 pocket knives, 3 kitchen knives and 2 mora belt knives.(One carbon and one stainless)  I used the white abrasive, 5,000 grit, and the green which is 8,000 grit.  I'm very pleased with the results. It came with a 12,000 grit as well, but I don't think I'll need that unless I plan to castrate flies.
I accidentally shaved a callous on my knuckle with my opinel #8 carbone. It was so smooth that I didn't even feel the contact!  Yeah, I know, cut away from you not towards you.  Tonight I sliced a ripe tomato with my victorinox chef's knife for my Greek lamb burger.  Since I only needed one slice I tried super thin slices for the heck of it. It's sharp enough I could read a newspaper through the thinnest slice.

“As you go through life
There’s two rules that will not bend:
Never whittle toward yourself,
Never pee against the wind.”
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

This is an old school method. I just use a piece of cardboard from an empty cereal box (the side with no print) and rub a little green compound on it and put it on a piece of thick glass I have. Any flat ridgid surface would do though.
  Denim from an old pair of jeans with compound works too. I prefer the cardboard though. I just throw it away when I'm done. The denim works OK but is too squishy for my tastes.
  I know what you mean about not feeling it. I recently sharpened an old butcher knife and somehow shaved a super thin slice of skin off my knuckle (I could see right through it) and didn't even realize it until I noticed it on the knife blade. The spot didn't even bleed, just looked a little red. I'll be really careful with that knife now LOL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oldnretired1's post: