Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I guess I am a new knife collector but not new to knives

(08-15-2024, 03:03 AM)oldnretired1 Wrote:  Bayonets to go with my WWI and WWII German and WWII Czech (German occupied & beyond) Mausers started my modest collection. It usted to be old Mausers, then the bayonets, slings etc. to go with them.
   After I finally found all the bayonets I had already caught the knife bug. 
   Then I realized most of the knives I owned weren't what I consider ergonomic and I started buying quality blade blanks and putting them together with handles/scales with materials that I liked and customizing them to fit my hand and purpose. I'm too old to learn forging (can't take the heat and hard work).
   After that it was old German hunting and dress daggers just because they are so damn cool.
   Now it's camp and hunting type knives..........................
   It'll probably never end with me but my wife is good with it so my knife addiction will go on.
In other words I get it.

I forgot to mention this. I noticed you have the folders in a foam lined hard case. Good but some of those foams aren't all that good for long term storage especially on organic handles/scales. I put the foam layers inside of extra large polyproplene(?-big baggies) zip close bags and fold and tape them like wrapping a present with the taped side away from the knives. I forgot where I aquired that knowledge. I think it was on a conservators forum somewhere.
   Just food for thought.

I have since upgraded to a portable tool box with drawer liners...I don't store guns in foam boxes either.  Foam can hold and attract moisture.

Where do you get quality blade blanks out of curiosity?

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis

Messages In This Thread
I guess I am a new knife collector but not new to knives - by RocketFoot - 05-12-2024, 08:49 PM
RE: I guess I am a new knife collector but not new to knives - by Ironbutt - 05-13-2024, 09:19 AM
RE: I guess I am a new knife collector but not new to knives - by oldnretired1 - 08-15-2024, 03:03 AM
RE: I guess I am a new knife collector but not new to knives - by RocketFoot - 08-15-2024, 05:23 AM
RE: I guess I am a new knife collector but not new to knives - by oldnretired1 - 08-15-2024, 10:34 PM
srjdsmith - by srjdsmith - 08-15-2024, 10:58 PM