BladeTalk.org
Real sword - Printable Version

+- BladeTalk.org (https://bladetalk.org)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (https://bladetalk.org/Forum-General-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Swords (https://bladetalk.org/Forum-Swords)
+--- Thread: Real sword (/Thread-Real-sword)

Real sword - srjdsmith - 08-01-2024

I have a number of replica swords, but at least one real sword. Some day I’d like someone who knows to evaluate it. 

My grandfather did some photography, or maybe painting, work for someone a very long time ago. He was a photographer and painter- mainly painted models such as anatomical models for med students and murals for museums. The guy couldn’t pay, so he traded a sword instead. Gramp took it, but it was of no value to him (or, apparently, any of his sons) so my dad (his son-in-law) ended up with it.

It appears to have been a Spanish naval officer’s sword. The edge has no nicks or gouges so it apparently never was in a real fight? For its age, and with no care at all, the steel is very bright- probably high nickel content.

[Image: IMG-5355.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5357.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5358.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5359.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5360.jpg]

RE: Real sword - RocketFoot - 08-02-2024

(08-01-2024, 12:19 PM)srjdsmith Wrote:  I have a number of replica swords, but at least one real sword. Some day I’d like someone who knows to evaluate it. 

My grandfather did some photography, or maybe painting, work for someone a very long time ago. He was a photographer and painter- mainly painted models such as anatomical models for med students and murals for museums. The guy couldn’t pay, so he traded a sword instead. Gramp took it, but it was of no value to him (or, apparently, any of his sons) so my dad (his son-in-law) ended up with it.

It appears to have been a Spanish naval officer’s sword. The edge has no nicks or gouges so it apparently never was in a real fight? For its age, and with no care at all, the steel is very bright- probably high nickel content.

[Image: IMG-5355.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5357.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5358.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5359.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5360.jpg]

That is really cool!  It would be great to get some historical background on it!  I have often thought about finding a WWII, authentic Japanese war trophy sword but as time goes on and things get more expensive...one of those is probably unobtainium for my budget!

RE: Real sword - tommag - 08-02-2024

There's a blast from the past! Can you imagine fighting with swords? Talk about up close and personal! While all war is hell, going into battle with swords seems terrifying to me.
It looks to be in very nice shape, especially for it's age.

RE: Real sword - oldnretired1 - 09-01-2024

I think you're on the right track. Looks like a naval saber to me. Not ceremonial but intended for actual use.
  In 1841 one had to protect oneself either in service or in personal life. Swords, daggers and pistols were normal to carry both for military and civilians. Military officers and well-to-do civilians had reason to beware for their safety.
  Embellishment was what one could afford at the time if desired.
  Also the inscriptions look french to me. I could be wrong on that as I don't speak either spanish or french fluently enough to say I know for sure.