Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

reshaping a blade

So, I'm sitting around doing nothing and am almost done with that project.
I dug out my carborundum stone and am attempting to reshape my broken-tip kizer activ bantam.  If I had a bench grinder set up I would use that with light passes, but I don't. My stone is saw-backed, so I'm using the ends for this project. Someday I'll get around to truing the stone again.
It's a slow tedious process, almost makes me think I'm still working on my doing nothing project, just putting more effort into it.🙄
Anyway, I'm slowly making progress along with a bunch of slurry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

Keep us posted!  Did you get some before and after pics?

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis

No, no pictures. For now, I'm going for a little chisel tip instead of a new point. Even that is taking a lot of time on a stone. The broken tip is only about 3/16 across.

I'm giving up on the carborundum for reshaping. I'm going to put it in my vise and try a Dremel on it. Hopefully I won't overheat it.
[Image: IMG-20240720-170733.jpg]

This is as far as I think I want to go with reshaping it. I find it hard to pull the Dremel at just the right time to avoid rounding the tip.
[Image: IMG-20240723-120501.jpg]
Now to use the stones to redo the edge.

Nice and sharp! The somewhat rounded tip will still be an improvement over what I had.
[Image: IMG-20240723-133023.jpg]

Yeesh. Did you try a blacksmith? (Haha)

Your reshape looks pretty workable.