Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Opinel

I'm pretty sure anybody who's been in a camping or backpacking store has seen these knives before. They're made by Opinel in France & have been around for over 130 years. I've ignored the things for years, but eventually bought one. Then I bought two more. There's nothing fancy about these knives. They just cut stuff & are excellent slicers. If you bend the blade, just straighten it out & keep cutting. Break it? Get a new one. They're cheap. The one shown below is a #07 & was $16. Carbon & stainless are both the same price. After I got this one, I bought a #06 & a 08.

Folding knives don't get much simpler: A blade, a piece of wood, metal ring, and a pin to hold it all together. They come in 11 sizes, and in carbon or stainless steel. Sizes 6-12 come with a lock ring. I think a complete set, from #02 to #12 costs $130. #08 is the most popular size world wide. The one  below, shown with my SAK for comparison is a #7. The Opinel weighs 1.13 oz or 32g, while the SAK comes in at 2.47 oz or 70g; so they're very lightweight, and you hardly know they're even in your pocket. 
[Image: Image.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Ironbutt's post:

I had/probably still have one around here I got years ago. Just as you said, it's simple and lightweight and works to cut stuff. I switched to the mora companion since for good/cheap knives that I keep various places. Same idea though.

I've been carrying one for years now. The blade's taken on a pretty nice blueing just from use, which is mostly food prep and foraging.
[-] The following 2 users Like jahwarrior72@gmail.com's post: