Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Old blades

I know most want blades/brands they are familiar with but I have a fondness for old blades some of which I have to do research on to determine whether they are of any quality and worth my time and money to pursue. Some times a search is fruitless and other times I find blades that are a bargain for what they are.
   I've found blanks of makers like Takao Fukuta or Ichiro Hattori that were either hard to find or discontinued decades ago that are in great condition and the seller is offeing them for a fraction of what I know they are worth.
   Other times I've found knives from makers like Jernbolaget (Swedish), Anton Wingen Jr., Puma and a host of other german and American knife makers for bargain prices. The steel isn't as good as some modern steels but better or equal than alot of them.
   These knives or blade blanks don't cost me alot (usually) unless they are very hard to find (1943 dot bayonet comes to mind). Very often I find knives with handle material that's either really expensive and hard to find now---Sambar Stag---some exotic hardwoods etc. and usually better quality.
   I've found really nice carbon steel and stainless hunting and carving knives that just needed repair/restoration work for cheap.
   Restoring and repairing vintage knives and bringing them back is a thing that connects me to history and makes me smile when I use them.
   Before CNC machines and automated everything. Hand made and not expensive.
             That;s why I have a fondness for vintage blades.
[-] The following 2 users Like oldnretired1's post:

(08-27-2024, 04:19 AM)oldnretired1 Wrote:  I know most want blades/brands they are familiar with but I have a fondness for old blades some of which I have to do research on to determine whether they are of any quality and worth my time and money to pursue. Some times a search is fruitless and other times I find blades that are a bargain for what they are.
   I've found blanks of makers like Takao Fukuta or Ichiro Hattori that were either hard to find or discontinued decades ago that are in great condition and the seller is offeing them for a fraction of what I know they are worth.
   Other times I've found knives from makers like Jernbolaget (Swedish), Anton Wingen Jr., Puma and a host of other german and American knife makers for bargain prices. The steel isn't as good as some modern steels but better or equal than alot of them.
   These knives or blade blanks don't cost me alot (usually) unless they are very hard to find (1943 dot bayonet comes to mind). Very often I find knives with handle material that's either really expensive and hard to find now---Sambar Stag---some exotic hardwoods etc. and usually better quality.
   I've found really nice carbon steel and stainless hunting and carving knives that just needed repair/restoration work for cheap.
   Restoring and repairing vintage knives and bringing them back is a thing that connects me to history and makes me smile when I use them.

That's pretty cool!  Seems like there are a lot of knife makers past and present...so many that I can't keep track of what's good and what isn't, LOL!  I guess that is why I am still sticking to the names that I know...but I'm sure it will come in time!

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis

(08-27-2024, 05:15 AM)RocketFoot Wrote:  
(08-27-2024, 04:19 AM)oldnretired1 Wrote:  I know most want blades/brands they are familiar with but I have a fondness for old blades some of which I have to do research on to determine whether they are of any quality and worth my time and money to pursue. Some times a search is fruitless and other times I find blades that are a bargain for what they are.

That's pretty cool!  Seems like there are a lot of knife makers past and present...so many that I can't keep track of what's good and what isn't, LOL!  I guess that is why I am still sticking to the names that I know...but I'm sure it will come in time!
   All good things come in time Rocketfoot. I just bought some stabilized and dyed wildebeast bones to use as handles on two Ichiro Hattori-Kershaw pre '80 1007 Trooper dagger blade blanks (no fullers) and an old N.S. Meyer rapier blade with scabbard..
   It took me many months and changing my mind several times to decide what I want to do with them. The rapier was chrome plated (military dress/presentation) with small peeling chrome spots so I carefully oil sanded off all the chrome plating (not fun!) but it's now time for handles finally.         I'm just waiting for some brass disks to be delivered so I can make finger guards that fit that I can't find anywhere for the daggers. Stabliized leather disks for transitition from brass to bone I already have.
   When I'm done I'll have matched double daggers & rapier. 
   I'll post pictures when they are finished hopefully before winter. Now for scabbards for the daggers...............
   All good thing come in time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oldnretired1's post: