Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Knife Grinding

Hello,
I have just joined the world of knife grinding.  Having gotten the bug I finally bought a new 2x72 grinder and am in the process of getting the rest of the paraphernalia needed to start making some knives.  I will post some pics shortly when I get my garage space cleaned out!

For now here's what I have purchased :

1. Grinder 2x72 Pheer brand in shipment
2. Dykem blue
3. Drill press by Wen
4. Vise by some unnamed Chinese company, still in shipment
5.  Digital calipers
6. Bolube lubricant for the drill press bits
7.  Clamps, various types
8.  A 2x42 buffer
9. Carbide tip scribe
10. About 150$ worth of various steel bars
11. 3m respirator
12. Book on knife grinding that I have read twice now

I would appreciate any advice on things I am missing.  I am planning on some safety goggles, and a dust collector but haven't yet dropped the hammer on those yet, waiting for the setup to get completed.
Thank you all for your ideas!

(05-15-2024, 03:39 PM)Hiblade Wrote:  Hello,
I have just joined the world of knife grinding.  Having gotten the bug I finally bought a new 2x72 grinder and am in the process of getting the rest of the paraphernalia needed to start making some knives.  I will post some pics shortly when I get my garage space cleaned out!

For now here's what I have purchased :

1. Grinder 2x72 Pheer brand in shipment
2. Dykem blue
3. Drill press by Wen
4. Vise by some unnamed Chinese company, still in shipment
5.  Digital calipers
6. Bolube lubricant for the drill press bits
7.  Clamps, various types
8.  A 2x42 buffer
9. Carbide tip scribe
10. About 150$ worth of various steel bars
11. 3m respirator
12. Book on knife grinding that I have read twice now

I would appreciate any advice on things I am missing.  I am planning on some safety goggles, and a dust collector but haven't yet dropped the hammer on those yet, waiting for the setup to get completed.
Thank you all for your ideas!

Welcome to the forums!  As you can see, we are new and just starting to get some new members!  Feel free to post some photos of your knives and equipment! 

I'd love to be able to grind my own knives but I have no idea where to even start!  That's awesome that you are giving it a go!!

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis

It sounds like you're ready to go. Be careful, and go slow.

I've been sharpening knives, axes, chisels, place irons, etc for a long time. I used Japanese water stones for many years with great results, but now for touch-ups I usually only use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. A few years ago I bought a Ken Onion electric belt sharpener to use on larger stuff, like axes, lawn tractor blades, etc.

I think understanding how to get an edge sharpening by hand all those years helped with getting a good working edge with an electric sharpener.

Remember: Go slow. One thing an electric sharpener can do really well is screw up a knife blade a lot faster than doing it by hand.