Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I guess I am a new knife collector but not new to knives

I have been squirreling knives away for probably over 30 years but I never really thought much about it!  That all changed recently when I decided to start actively buying quality knives to actually collect!  Today I decided to gather up all of my folders just to see what I have and I was really surprised!  I rounded up over 20 folders and still have a few more to rediscover in my vehicles and such.  I didn’t even start on my fixed blades, bayonets and machetes!  I am really excited about this new hobby!  Why didn’t I know how much I loved collecting knives until now?

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis
[-] The following 2 users Like RocketFoot's post:

I've never considered myself a knife collector. I'm a knife accumulator. I have "a bunch" of knives, both modern & traditional, and all were bought to be used. Every one of them was my new favorite.....for a while. There are only a few that keep ending up back in my pocket though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ironbutt's post:

Bayonets to go with my WWI and WWII German and WWII Czech (German occupied & beyond) Mausers started my modest collection. It usted to be old Mausers, then the bayonets, slings etc. to go with them.
   After I finally found all the bayonets I had already caught the knife bug. 
   Then I realized most of the knives I owned weren't what I consider ergonomic and I started buying quality blade blanks and putting them together with handles/scales with materials that I liked and customizing them to fit my hand and purpose. I'm too old to learn forging (can't take the heat and hard work).
   After that it was old German hunting and dress daggers just because they are so damn cool.
   Now it's camp and hunting type knives..........................
   It'll probably never end with me but my wife is good with it so my knife addiction will go on.
In other words I get it.

I forgot to mention this. I noticed you have the folders in a foam lined hard case. Good but some of those foams aren't all that good for long term storage especially on organic handles/scales. I put the foam layers inside of extra large polyproplene(?-big baggies) zip close bags and fold and tape them like wrapping a present with the taped side away from the knives. I forgot where I aquired that knowledge. I think it was on a conservators forum somewhere.
   Just food for thought.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oldnretired1's post:

(08-15-2024, 03:03 AM)oldnretired1 Wrote:  Bayonets to go with my WWI and WWII German and WWII Czech (German occupied & beyond) Mausers started my modest collection. It usted to be old Mausers, then the bayonets, slings etc. to go with them.
   After I finally found all the bayonets I had already caught the knife bug. 
   Then I realized most of the knives I owned weren't what I consider ergonomic and I started buying quality blade blanks and putting them together with handles/scales with materials that I liked and customizing them to fit my hand and purpose. I'm too old to learn forging (can't take the heat and hard work).
   After that it was old German hunting and dress daggers just because they are so damn cool.
   Now it's camp and hunting type knives..........................
   It'll probably never end with me but my wife is good with it so my knife addiction will go on.
In other words I get it.

I forgot to mention this. I noticed you have the folders in a foam lined hard case. Good but some of those foams aren't all that good for long term storage especially on organic handles/scales. I put the foam layers inside of extra large polyproplene(?-big baggies) zip close bags and fold and tape them like wrapping a present with the taped side away from the knives. I forgot where I aquired that knowledge. I think it was on a conservators forum somewhere.
   Just food for thought.

I have since upgraded to a portable tool box with drawer liners...I don't store guns in foam boxes either.  Foam can hold and attract moisture.

Where do you get quality blade blanks out of curiosity?

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis

I have to look for the knife blanks I want but have found them at Janzen, K&G, American Knife Maker and of all places Ebarf. There's a seller called EPrague? on there that has blanks by Ichiro Hattori and Takao Fukuta among others. I saw Kershaw 1007 Trooper blades by Hattori that were pre '80 (no fullers) and bought two. Also four Tak Fukuta full tang drop point blanks and a Junglee blank by fukuta. I bought the four drop points so my brother his two sons and myself would all have matching camp knives with our initals in morse code on the scales. Haven't done them yet but when it starts snowing....
   Not modern supersteels but quality nontheless by a couple of the best Japanese bladesmiths. They were from discontinued models that were never used. Some on that site are pretty rough so I had to carefully look at the pics to get what I wanted. None had the final edge ground but my worksharp took care of that in short order.
   Blade shape and grind profile are the more important to me than steel composition. As long as it will hold an edge for a decent while and isn't a bear to sharpen, Im good with it.

(05-12-2024, 08:49 PM)RocketFoot Wrote:  I have been squirreling knives away for probably over 30 years but I never really thought much about it!  That all changed recently when I decided to start actively buying quality knives to actually collect!  Today I decided to gather up all of my folders just to see what I have and I was really surprised!  I rounded up over 20 folders and still have a few more to rediscover in my vehicles and such.  I didn’t even start on my fixed blades, bayonets and machetes!  I am really excited about this new hobby!  Why didn’t I know how much I loved collecting knives until now?
…it sneaks up on you.

(05-13-2024, 09:19 AM)Ironbutt Wrote:  I've never considered myself a knife collector. I'm a knife accumulator. I have "a bunch" of knives, both modern & traditional, and all were bought to be used. Every one of them was my new favorite.....for a while. There are only a few that keep ending up back in my pocket though.

Same with my dad. I have his ‘collection’ but it’s most an ‘accumulation’. He had a few truly valuable knives, a bunch of nice knives, and a whole whack of ordinary to junk knives.
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post: