Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Demko vs Cold Steel

Any Demko fans here?  I am a huge Demko fan, especially since their shop is in Wampum (New Castle) PA!  Western PA proud!  Anyway, what do you think about Demko vs Cold Steel?  Even in the Demko catalog, they have US made vs Taiwan made.  They all seem to be super premium knives but the prices are all over the board!  There is defiantly something for everyone at every budget level!  I think it comes down to materials used, also.  Some of the high end knives are Titanium with different blade steels but really, I don't imaging many collectors are using their $400 plus knives out in the field, LOL!  But, man...the FOMO factor is definitely there!!

https://demkoknives.com/

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis

I don't own either a Demco or Cold Steel. that said, I'd take a Demco AD20.5 over Cold Steel any day. It's personal preference/opinion, but there just aren't any Cold Steel models that I want. The Demco AD20.5 is another matter. And they offer them in a good variety of steels too. Of the newer steels, the S35VN is probably my favorite. It offers just the right combination of edge holding vs toughness vs ease of sharpening. I have knives in the 20CV, and while they hold an edge longer than S35, they're harder to sharpen. 

As far as carrying a $400+ knife every day, I have absolutely no problem with that. I have 4 Chris Reeves & 3 Hinderers, and I have no problems, carrying, using & getting them dirty. I've been sort of on a Buck knife kick lately, but one my Chris Reeves knives was usually clipped to my pocket for a long time before that , and will most likely end up there again soon.

I almost always carry a large & a small knife, and I go on binges, and have new favorites from time to time, but a Chris Reeve & an Alox SAK eventually always end up back in my pocket.

(05-14-2024, 09:43 AM)Ironbutt Wrote:  I don't own either a Demco or Cold Steel. that said, I'd take a Demco AD20.5 over Cold Steel any day. It's personal preference/opinion, but there just aren't any Cold Steel models that I want. The Demco AD20.5 is another matter. And they offer them in a good variety of steels too. Of the newer steels, the S35VN is probably my favorite. It offers just the right combination of edge holding vs toughness vs ease of sharpening. I have knives in the 20CV, and while they hold an edge longer than S35, they're harder to sharpen. 

As far as carrying a $400+ knife every day, I have absolutely no problem with that. I have 4 Chris Reeves & 3 Hinderers, and I have no problems, carrying, using & getting them dirty. I've been sort of on a Buck knife kick lately, but one my Chris Reeves knives was usually clipped to my pocket for a long time before that , and will most likely end up there again soon.

I almost always carry a large & a small knife, and I go on binges, and have new favorites from time to time, but a Chris Reeve & an Alox SAK eventually always end up back in my pocket.

I just ordered an AD20.5 Black G10!  I really wanted to get an MGAD20 but it wasn't in the budget this round!  My 20.5 will be S35VN but I guess I am more of a collector than a user!  I do carry my knives though but usually in my lunch bag, LOL.  The SAK is the main knife in my pocket!  If you like the AD20.5, you should check out the Cold Steel AD15!  What a freakin' beast!  Absolutely love mine!  I only wish I could get my hands on a Demko version at a good price!

[Image: IMG-3542.jpg]

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis