Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bird hunter’s knife

[Image: IMG-5429.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5430.jpg]

Looking through Dad’s knife collection. I gave him this knife when I was in Jr High. Saved up and bought it at Sears Roebuck. I have two others- a Buck and a Remington. I’ve never known how to use them.

I know the PRINCIPLE. They’re used by British game keepers where gentlemen stand about in tweed jackets with Purdy 16 ga side-by-sides, waiting for the beaters to flush more pheasants, and saying things like, “I say, lads, I should like to shoot another. Put some more up, won’t you? My fowling piece has gone a bit cold, I’m afraid…” And the gamekeeper will most likely let the birds hang whole in the shed for 2 or 3 days before cleaning them. So, he uses the hook to remove the intestines so the meat can ‘age’ without ‘spoiling’.

I just don’t know how to do it right- as I’m not a tweed-jacketed gentleman
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

(09-06-2024, 12:19 PM)srjdsmith Wrote:  [Image: IMG-5429.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5430.jpg]

Looking through Dad’s knife collection. I gave him this knife when I was in Jr High. Saved up and bought it at Sears Roebuck. I have two others- a Buck and a Remington. I’ve never known how to use them.

I know the PRINCIPLE. They’re used by British game keepers where gentlemen stand about in tweed jackets with Purdy 16 ga side-by-sides, waiting for the beaters to flush more pheasants, and saying things like, “I say, lads, I should like to shoot another. Put some more up, won’t you? My fowling piece has gone a bit cold, I’m afraid…” And the gamekeeper will most likely let the birds hang whole in the shed for 2 or 3 days before cleaning them. So, he uses the hook to remove the intestines so the meat can ‘age’ without ‘spoiling’.

I just don’t know how to do it right- as I’m not a tweed-jacketed gentleman

That sounds pretty "Spot on!"  I can't help any further than that...LOL!  That is a cool knife though!

"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat."  ~General Mattis

I like that knife. My mother told me once that my grandpa would hang geese in the springhouse for days sometimes depending on the weather etc. She said no one ever got sick from eating them.
No way would I take that chance nowdays.

And here’s the Buck. My son has the Remington; he doesn’t really know how to use it, either. The Remington at least has a ‘blade’ that’s a choke tube wrench.

[Image: IMG-5437.jpg]